The distinguished violinist Michalis Kouloumis, in collaboration with the Cultural Workshop of Ayioi Omoloyites, announces the founding of the Tropos Ensemble with the aim of studying, teaching and presenting the musical traditions of the Eastern Mediterranean and cultivating the potential of talented young musicians in Cyprus.
The members of Tropos Ensemble will have the opportunity, for the first time in Cyprus to study, as a group, traditional music from Greece and Cyprus, the Arab world, repertoire from the Ottoman Classical Music as well as Contemporary Maqam Music compositions.
The ensemble will gather regularly for group study with Michalis Kouloumis, they will attend seminars with recognized musicians from abroad and will participate in concerts and music festivals in Cyprus.
Auditions will be held on Saturday and Sunday, 24th and 25th of February, between 10:00 – 14:00 at the Cultural Workshop of Ayioi Omoloyites in Nicosia. Auditions are open to people who play one or more of the following instruments:
violin, lute, kanun, oud, percussion, santur, double bass, voice, clarinet, ney, kemence.
– intermediate / advanced / professional level on instrument
– basic level of score reading
Repertoire for auditions (melodic instruments)
– One (1) piece / song from Cyprus (compulsory)
– Two (2) pieces / songs from the following areas; Aegean Sea Islands, Asia Minor, Constantinople (Ottoman Classical Music / Urban Popular Music), Macedonia, Thrace
Repertoire for auditions (percussion)
– Three (3) rhythms; Sirto, Tsifteteli, Karsilama (compulsory)
– Selection of one (1) of the following rhythms; Mantilatos, Zeybek, Aksak Semai, Curcuna, Kopanitsa, Kalamatiano, Zonaradiko
Musicians can participate in the auditions with accompaniment of their choice.
INFO – APPLICATIONS
99529754 (Michalis Kouloumis)
22256782 (Ayioi Omologites Cultural Workshop